Friday, April 07, 2006

Help Build a House in Mexico

Image hosting by PhotobucketA good friend of mine sent this to me, and I post it here in case you can help her students do some good work this summer. Even if you can't donate money, please send them your prayers. Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

The reason I am writing is because I am gearing up to take some students down to Mexico again this year. For those of you who didn't hear about the trip last year - let me explain.

At the end of June, a team of my students and some additional faculty will be heading down to Mexico to build a house for one of the million families that are less fortunate than any of us. Last year's family consisted of a single mother and two daughters who shared one bed together and lived in a room with a dirt floor, walls made of old garage doors, and a tarp for a roof.

Our team builds a house for the family in four days. We build using only our hands (no power tools) and we create a basic two room house with a real floor, a real roof, two windows and a door.

This is a tough job and we know we can do it, but we still need some help. First off, we are looking for prayers not only for the group but also for the family we are helping. Secondly, I am looking for donations to help sponsor myself as well as the other dedicated teens and leaders going down there. Total, it costs each participant about $500. This goes towards transportation, food, supplies, and insurance. Every little bit helps and if you are interested in helping this way then please send a check to me payable to LJC Ministry. My work address will be at the bottom of this email.

This trip is one of the things that I have spent a lot of time with in this Campus Ministry position. It means a lot to me and it also is such an amazing experience for all the teens. Seeing them grow so much in that one week is a great reminder of why I took this job.

If you have any questions or want more information about what we are doing then please contact me!!

Amanda Goei
Director of Campus Ministry
Saint Lawrence Academy
2000 Lawrence Court
Santa Clara, CA 95051

No comments: