Catechumenate Support Group - January 3, 2008, 7:00p
Lent is only five weeks away! That means the Rite of Election and scrutinies are just around the corner! This is what our Bishop McGrath said to the catechumens in 2006:
The world will tell you to hate your enemies; this community will tell you to love them. The world will tell you to store up your riches, live the “good life,” grab more power, vote for the one who will make your life easier, be an individual; but this community will tell you to give not only your cloak but your shirt as well, take care of the orphan, the widow, and the outcast, put on Christ, lose yourself, take up the cross, give away all you have, give away even your life. This is what baptism is about. This is what the season of Lent is about. This is what being Catholic is about. This is what you must be about if you will give your name to God today. (Read his entire homily here.)Are your catechumens ready to take the plunge? Are you ready?
At our next Catechumenate Support Group (the evening edition), we'll discuss:
- How do you prepare a Rite of Sending that gets not only your catechumens, but also your sponsors and assembly ready for Lent?
- What do your catechumens and godparents need to know about the Rite of Election? Do they even have to go?
- Are the scrutinies optional? They seem kind of boring. How do we make them more interesting?
- What do you do with candidates during Lent? Should you celebrate the Rite of Sending for recognition by the Bishop and the Call to Continuing Conversion?
- How do you get more sponsors and more people involved in the catechumenate ministry of the parish?
"Ready or Not, Here Lent Comes!"
Thursday, January 3, 2008
7:00p – 8:30p
1200 Redmond Avenue, San Jose
- Thursday, March 6, 2008, 12:30p – 2:00p, host parish needed - contact Diana
- Thursday, April 3, 2008, 7:00p – 8:30p, host parish needed - contact Diana
- Thursday, June 5, 2008, potluck dinner, host parish needed - contact Diana
Labels: workshops and events